XPS system ESCALAB 250Xi, Thermo Scientific
Electron Analyzer and Detection System
- Double-focusing full 180° spherical sector analyzer with a mean radius of 150 mm and energy range 0 to 5,000 eV.
- Six channel electron multipliers
- A continuous, two-dimensional, position-sensitive detector based on a pair of channel plates and having true pulse counting capability. Parallel imaging with pixel resolutions up to 256 x 256 pixels.
- monochromatic and non-monochromated X-ray sources.
- The microfocusing monochromator features microfocused electron gun and a multi-position Al anode. Spot size can be selected ranging from 200 µm to 900 µm.
- The Non-Monochromated X-ray source has a Dual anode (MgKa/AlKa) X-ray source
Sample Navigation and Manipulation:
- Automated 5-axis Sample Manipulator
- Azimuthal rotation
- Heating and cooling (LN2) enabled
- Point and shoot sample navigation
- High photon flux (>1.5 x 1012 photons/second)
- HeI and HeII modes of operation with UV light spot size (~1.5mm)
- 2 stage differential pumping (typical pressure in analysis chamber <10-8 mbar)
The Flood Sources:
- A flood electron source, co-axial with the analyzer input lens is used for charge compensation when analyzing non-conducting samples using the monochromatic X-ray source.
- The co-axial source can be used at higher energies for physical imaging and REELS.
- A second flood source produces low-energy ions, which assist in providing charge compensation when the magnetic lens is not in use, or for experiments where the co-axial source is not appropriate such as UPS.
The Thermo Scientific Dual Beam Ion source MAGCIS - Monoatomic and Gas Cluster Ion Source for rapid, high-resolution depth profiling.
- The MAGCIS ion gun is fully computer controlled and operates at an energy range from 100 eV to 4 keV and has a maximum beam current of > 6 μA at 3 keV and a minimum spot size of 200 μm at 2.5 μA and 4 keV.
- The MAGCIS ion gun can operate in cluster sputtering (variable cluster size up 2000 atoms) and monoatomic modes
- Cluster/atom energy from 1eV upwards
- Can be used for ISS spectroscopy
- All analytical functions for the ESCALAB 250Xi+ are controlled from the Windows™-based Avantage data system. The entire analysis process can be performed remotely, if required.